Filing Your Taxes Online is Fast, Easy and Secure.
Start now and receive your tax refund in as little as 7 days.

1. Get Answers

Your online questions are customized to your unique tax situation.

2. Maximize your Refund

Find tax credits for everything from school tuition to buying a hybri

3. E-File for FREE

E-file free with direct deposit to get your refund in as few as 7 days.

Filing your taxes with paper mail can be difficult and it could take weeks for your refund to arrive. IRS e-file is easy, fast and secure. There is no paperwork going to the IRS so tax refunds can be processed in as little as 7 days with direct deposit. As you prepare your taxes online, you can see your tax refund in real time.

FREE audit support and representation from an enrolled agent – NEW and only from H&R Block

Free Tax Filing

1040ez Form 2012H&r Block Free FilingCan You Still E File 2011 Tax ReturnsFree Federal And State TaxesIrs Amendment2012 Form 1040ezHow To File An Amendment On TaxesIrs Ez Tax FormHow To Amend Tax Return TurbotaxFederal Tax ExtensionEfile 2012 Tax Return FreePrintable 1040ez Form2010 Tax Deadline2006 Tax Return1040ez FormsCan I Refile My TaxesHrblock MilitaryFile My State Taxes Online FreeTaxes 2011Handr Block1040ez 2013 Tax FormFile State Returns For FreeMilitary Tax FilingFile Taxes Online For FreeFile State Income Tax Online FreeFiling Taxes As A StudentHow To File Taxes For 2011Filing 2011 Taxes LateE File 2012 TaxesFree Amended ReturnTurbotax Military EditionFile 1040nr OnlineFree File State And Federal TaxesFiling 2011 Taxes Late Turbotax2012 Amended 1040xFree 1040ezEz Tax ReturnFree Tax Forms 2012Hr Block 2011Federal Income Tax Return

Free Tax Filing

Free tax filing Alabama taxpayers have four new refund donation check-offs from which to choose this year, bringing the total number of available refund donation check-offs on the 2013 return to sixteen. The new offerings include: the Alabama State Historic Preservation Fund, Archives Services Fund, Alabama Firefighters Annuity and Benefit Fund, and the Victims of Violence Assistance (Reference: Acts 2011-620; 2011-552, and 2012-259, respectively). Free tax filing Driver’s License/Non driver’s Number, Date of Birth Requirements Added to Return Filings Taxpayers who electronically file 2013 Alabama Forms 40, 40-A or 40 NR should include their driver’s license or non-driver’s license number, as well as their date of birth, on their Alabama returns. This is the department’s latest effort to combat the growing threat of identity theft and fraudulent tax return filings. The department will use this information to validate filers’ names and dates of birth information shown on the Alabama returns against names and dates of birth information shown on individuals’ driver’s licenses or non-driver’s licenses. If a match does not occur, then the return will Free tax filing be flagged and will be reviewed by an examiner. No other personal information shown on an individual’s driver’s license or non-driver’s license record will be available to the ADOR for use, such as photo identification, physical description, driving restrictions or gender. Free tax filing
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP565 Notice

We gave you an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

¿Desea ver la versión en español de esta página web?

Effective June 22, 2012, the IRS has made interim changes that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes. Taxpayers and their representatives should review these changes, which are further explained in these Frequently Asked Questions, before requesting an ITIN.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. Make sure the name and date of birth we have on record for you is right.
  • You don't have to answer the notice.
  • Use your ITIN in place of a Social Security Number to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

What is an ITIN?
It is a number for you to use on federal tax documents.

Who needs an ITIN?
A non-citizen who has to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document and does not qualify for an SSN needs an ITIN.

Can I use an ITIN for identification?
No. It is only for tax purposes. It is not for non-tax purposes.

Can I use my ITIN like a Social Security number (SSN)?
You can use an ITIN like an SSN on federal tax documents. It doesn't, however, allow you to collect Social Security benefits. It doesn't change your immigration status.

Can I claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) when I file my tax return?
No, individuals filing a tax return with an ITIN can't claim the EITC.

What happens to my ITIN if I become a U.S. citizen?
You can get an SSN when you become a U.S. citizen.

What should I do if I get a Social Security number?
Use your SSN. Stop using your ITIN. Let us know you have an SSN so we can change our records. We will give you credit for taxes withheld under your old ITIN.

I sent you documents when I applied for an ITIN. When will you return them?
We will return your documents within 60 days from your notice's date. Call us at the number on your notice if you don't receive your documents by then.

Tips for next year

Use your ITIN and the name shown on your notice when you file your federal taxes next year. Do the same when you contact us by mail.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Understanding your notice

Reading your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.

Notice CP565, Page 1

Notice CP565, Page 2

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Tax publications you may find useful

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

Or you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 14-Mar-2014

The Free Tax Filing

Free tax filing Alabama Accountability Act Tax Credits Free tax filing The 2013 Alabama Accountability Act provides a parent-taxpayer refundable tax credit available to eligible individual income taxpayers, limited to $3,563 for the 2013 tax year. Free tax filing In addition, a scholarship granting organization (SGO) contribution tax credit is available to both individual taxpayers and corporate taxpayers. The maximum eligible amount for individuals is $7,500, but is limited to one half of the taxpayer’s tax liability amount for the year. Corporate taxpayers are limited to one half of the corporation’s tax liability amount, beginning with the corporation’s 2013 tax year. The Alabama Schedule AATC7 Alabama Accountability Tax Credit will be used to claim the credits. Full details of these tax credits are available at